Arthritis is one of the worst conditions that could happen to us. It can disable us and disrupt our daily activities, reducing our capabilities to function well and ruining our overall productivity. From doing your regular household chores to passing by time with your favorite hobbies, arthritis can make all of those moments unenjoyable with a single twitch in your joints.
Thankfully, there are plenty of tools today that can assist people with arthritis to do their favorite tasks. If you love sewing and you are facing this condition, there are specially designed scissors out there to help ease your experience. Before choosing any sewing scissor, you should consider some factors given below in our buying guide by the end of the article.
Best Sewing Scissors for Arthritis of 2020
Fiskars No. 8 Easy Action Bent Scissors
The Fiskars No. 8 Easy Action Bent Scissors is one of the handiest sewing scissors you can find out there. It is ideally used to cut various selections of materials such as denim, cotton, silk, and more.
What makes this pair of scissors, so unique is that it is specially designed for people who are suffering from arthritis. With its spring action function, the blades automatically open after every cut so that you do not have to exert that much effort. For the most comfortable sewing time, the Fiskars No. 8 Easy Action Bent Scissors is the best choice for you. It is awarded an Ease of Use Commendation by the Arthritis Foundation due to its excellent design
- Compact and easy to operate
- Lifetime warranty for easy repairs or replacements
- smooth and clean cuts
- The built-in spring may deteriorate over time and ruin the scissors’ functionality
- The scissors’ lock is made of plastic and may break anytime
Fiskars Titanium Easy Action Scissors
Much like the first option, the Fiskars Titanium Easy Action No. 8 Scissors is an easy-to-operate tool when it comes to your sewing needs. It has the same qualities as the Fiskars No. 8 Easy Action Bent Scissors, but this one is made of titanium, which means it is lighter. It also has a compact and colorful design that makes it stylish and efficient at the same time. It is easy to operate, thanks to its lightweight titanium material.
- Compact, lightweight and easy to operate
- Lifetime warranty
- Provides easy cuts
- Not ergonomic as claimed
- Not durable
Thornton’s Softgrip Arthritic Spring Action Scissors
If you are looking for maximum comfort and excellent quality, the Thornton’s Softgrip Arthritic Spring Action Scissors is the best choice for you. As the name suggests, this pair of scissors is one of the most comfortable sewing buddies you will use. Its multi-purpose design makes it usable for any activity that requires it, whether they are from your office or your home.
Its blade is made of high-quality stainless steel that ensures sharp and clean cuts and long-term usability. The spring action function makes it the perfect tool for people who are dealing with arthritis.
- Secure lock that keeps the handle intact
- Ergonomically designed handle and built with Softgrip
- Provides maximum comfort and control
- The scissors’ spring is exposed and prone to corrosion
- There is no space for extra thumb force since the other half of the scissor is flat
Kai 7250 10 Inch Professional Shears
If you are more fond of traditional tools, the Kai 7250 10 Inch Professional Shears can provide the satisfaction you need. This pair of scissors features a more classic look that completes its simple design. With a blade made of stainless steel and plastic-covered handles, you will surely enjoy your sewing sessions a lot more with these shears.
Its sharp stainless steel blade has anti-corrosive properties that promote long-term usage and excellent cutting efficiency
- Its handle is covered with a thick plastic material to ensure maximum comfort
- Its traditional look is perfect if you are not a fan of modern sewing tools
- Made with authentic and exceptional craftsmanship
- Might not be helpful for people who are experiencing arthritis
- No security lock for it
Pink Power Electric Fabric Scissors
Sewing is becoming easier with each day that passes, thanks to the help of multiple technological creations such as the Pink Power Electric Fabric Scissors. Say goodbye to strained hands, because this device is capable of cutting through the fabric without requiring physical effort. All you have to do is push its button, hold it, and let the blades do the work!
Its battery-powered function makes it the perfect tool for beginner and experienced sewists alike, especially those who have arthritis.
- It has replaceable blades
- It can cut through thick and thin materials
- It is built with a compact size and an ergonomic handle
- Battery drainage may lead to disrupted and ruined works
- The blades might be too small for your preference
Gingher 8-Inch Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears
If you are not convinced with modern sewing tools or you are used to scissors that are simple but capable of doing the job, then the Gingher 8-Inch Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears is the right option for you.
With a classic design crafted from high-grade stainless steel, these shears are built to create longer and cleaner cuts. It also has a shiny and pure chrome design, which can make people think that you’ve had it longer than you actually did. It is purely made of high-quality stainless steel that is fashioned to provide a smooth feeling whenever you use it
- Provides excellent cuts that can reach longer than average scissors
- It has a bent design to hold any fabric flat while you are cutting them
- Its handle is ergonomic and has the same material as the blade for a more traditional or classic feel
- It might not be helpful for some people, especially if they are experiencing arthritis
- The handle is not that comfortable because of the material
Singer Detail Scissors, Thread Snips, and 8.5” Scissors Bundle
Singer is one of the leading brands of sewing materials, which makes this bundle noteworthy. If you are looking for an easier experience, you may consider getting different types of sewing scissors.
With this Singer Details Scissors, Thread Snips, and 8.5” Scissors Bundle, you will have everything you need for a flawless sewing experience. These three pairs of scissors are the perfect quality tools for you, so if you want to upgrade your sewing kit today, this bundle is the perfect choice!
- Made with premium materials and excellent craftsmanship
- Handles are built with padded material for maximum comfort
- Perfect for either left or right handed people
- The scissors are not well-built for people with arthritis since they require physical effort
- Some of the scissors might be unnecessary to buy with a bundle
What To Look In The Best Sewing Scissors
The point of having scissors specialized for sewing is for you to cut through the fabric in a smoother and easier manner. If you are looking for a good sewing scissor, make sure that you are going to buy one with a sharp and anti-corrosive blade. This can prove to be very useful in the long run, especially if you are dealing with arthritis.
An excellent sewing scissor is designed with the best materials and structure for maximum comfortability. If you find a scissor that is made of stainless steel, has a good ergonomic structure, and is equipped with a function that can assist with your specific condition, then that scissor is the clear choice for you.
When you are choosing this type of scissors, you need to take the size of their handles into account. If you choose the wrong size, you will probably feel uncomfortable the whole time you are using them. Some scissors are equipped with comfortable paddings on their handles. This way, you will not have a hard time using them, and you can also avoid injuring yourself while doing so.
Sewing is something that has been around for a long time. Back in the olden days up to the 21st century, people have been using different sewing methods to either fix or create new things for themselves. If you are looking to add new scissors to your sewing set, then this selection can prove to be a useful guide for you.
The only thing that can disrupt your sewing experience is if you have a condition such as arthritis. It will hurt every time you exert effort, which could ruin your experience altogether. Thankfully, these scissors are available to provide the necessary comfort you need.
Just by choosing the right one, you will actually get to enjoy your sewing sessions more, and you will have a great time sharing this experience with your family and friends.