Sewing fur is relatively easy and fun. However, you must be very patient with this material as it can get damaged easily. You sew fur using hands, but a machine works best.
Using a machine will fasten the process as you will take less time than hand sewing. Therefore, you will finish your design in no time. A sewing machine for fur is convenient, especially when you get the hang of using it.
Therefore, it is an excellent way to complete your fur projects of any size. Sewing using a machine will also give your fur a professional look since the length and width of your stitches are standard. Some stitches can only be achieved by machine stitching, for instance, straight lockstitches.
Best Fur Sewing Machines of 2021
Most people wonder, can you sew fur? Yes, it is possible. If you intend to sew natural fur skin, you will need a specialized machine designed to produce overseams.
There are a variety of machines that can help you achieve a perfect overseam on your fur material. Some sewing machine models can only sew fur skin that is not too thick, while others can sew thick furs such as sheepskins.
If you are looking into buying a machine for home use, you can buy a middle-class machine can sew fur easily. Most middle-class machines, however, use one thread only. To sew fur, you will need a sewing machine, matching threads, fur, metal washers, scissors, and a cutting mat.
With this equipment and materials, you will sew fur easily, ensuring that you do not damage the material. If you have fur that you want to sew and are shopping for the best machine, below is a review of the best machines you can buy.
Janome 8002D Serger
The Janome 8002D attempts to provide clients with top-quality sergers that are appealing to newbies and experts. The machine takes tiny space, and it is built to be sturdy. However, with the small size, the users still enjoy its unique features and help them reveal their creativity.
This machine uses 3 or 4 threads and 1 or 2 needles that allow the user to sew various stitches. You can sew, cut, and finish all your seams in a single action.
For its price, the Janome 8002D is a product that will give you value for your money as it rates much higher than its competitors. The components are of high quality to ensure the user gets a variety of serging options.
This machine was built with the user in mind. Some of the fantastic features of this machine include:
- Simple operation
- Modifiable Cutting Width
- Tension Dial
- Modifiable Differential Feed
- Built-in Rolled Hem
- Versatile – The machine allows its users to work with a wide range of fabrics, including thin faux fur and natural fur, which is thick.
- Small-sized – The model has a compact design that can be easily stored in small spaces. However, the size does not affect its efficiency and power.
- User friendly – Although the Janome 8002D is relatively powerful, the machine is easy to understand. Therefore, a beginner will find it to be suitable.
- Has accessories – Some machines do not have any accessories; hence the user is forced to buy separately. The Janome has its accessories, including screwdrivers, needles, tweezers, among others.
- Threading might be difficult
- If you are new to sergers, you may struggle with threading this machine properly during your first attempts.
Singer Stylist 7258
If you are looking for an innovative and powerful sewing machine for fur, the Singer Stylist 7258 is best for you. The machine is perfectly designed to enhance the user’s sewing experience.
The machine performs perfectly for both beginners and experts whether you want to sew, quilt or craft. With the SINGER Stylist 7258, you get a wide range of stitches for any sewing. Threading with this machine is also super easy, and you can finish the whole machine in a matter of seconds.
If you dislike noise when going about your business, this machine will be suitable for you as it’s quiet.
The Singer Stylist 7258 has a very sturdy frame and a unique body structure. If you are doing a demanding sewist, this machine contains 100 pre-programmed stitches to help you achieve unique combinations and make your sewing experience seamless.
One of the top perks of this sewing machine is that it is computerized. The machine has an LCD screen where you can adjust your stitches’ width and length while also previewing them.
If you want a perfect balance of value, unique in-built features, and enhanced capabilities, this computerized machine should be your top choice whether you are a beginner or intermediate.
Some of the fantastic features that you get with the Singer Stylist 7258 include:
- 100 In-built Stitches
- Automatic needle threader
- Push-button stitch selection
- LCD screen display to troubleshoot
- Bonus Accessories
- LED Lifetime White Lamp
- Speed control slider
- Perfect stitch selection
- Has twin needles
- High-performance and high speed
- Great user experience
- Comes with accessories
- Has efficient tension system
- Automatic presser foot pressure that can’t be adjusted
- The width of the stitches can only go up to 5mm
- No lever for lowering the feed dogs
- Has no carrying case
- The pedal is made of plastic.
Singer Heavy Duty 4452
The Singer Heavy Duty 4452 is perfect for cutting through the fur. Although it was designed for heavy fabrics, the machine has a presser foot adjusted to allow the sewing of light fabrics.
The machine has a simple design without many overwhelming features like most machines. The exterior of this simple machine is plastic, but this shouldn’t be a concern when looking for a durable machine since it has an interior metal frame.
Unlike other machines, the Singer 4452 is quite heavy; therefore, allocate a room for it so that you don’t move it around.
The Singer Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine for fur has outstanding productivity, and it sews a maximum speed of 1100 stitches in a minute.
Such power can only be compared with industrial machines that go a lot higher in price range than this machine. Its maintenance is relatively easy, and if you are a tailor, you won’t run into any issues with its productivity.
Setting up the machine and using it is also a breeze, and it is a good fit for beginners and experts.
- The machine is versatile, and its adjustable presser allows the user to sew different fabrics.
- Fast maximum sewing speed
- Stable and sturdy, thus does not shake when in use
- Runs smoothly
- Very little noise when the parts are oiled regularly
- The needle threader works perfectly
- Easy to work with
- Designed with a lot of plastic
- May experience tension issues
- Not very “heavy duty” as people would have expected
- The foot pedal is difficult to work with
- Can break needles when sewing at maximum speed.
- The zigzag stitch may not be satisfactory
- Its package has no case
- Quite expensive
Janome Cover Pro 1000CPX
The Janome Cover Pro 1000CPX is perfectly designed for users to achieve that professional look. This specialty machine works with 1-3 needles and can use up to four thread spools.
The machine has become popular among home users, although it does not perform most standard functions. It contains an expansive sewing area that will give the user plenty of room to stitch even in difficult areas.
The machine contains detailed graphics on the front side, and the looper cover comes with the threading instructions.
The Janome Cover Pro features various stitches and a limited stitch width of 6mm for every needle. This machine is not designed for beginners, although it handles like traditional machines.
Some of its most impressive features include a spring seam tightening system, easy looper threading, vertical needle drop, adjustable differential feed, patented free arm feature, and a presser foot lifter.
- Convenient threading because of the color-codes system and a stitch guide to help the user.
- Has been rated as one of the best furs sewing machines by professional and home sewers.
- Fast-speed stitching of up to 1000 stitches every minute.
- The machine is not suitable for beginners
- Doe not have an automatic threader or a tension adjuster
- Uses the Schmetz ELx705 (size 12) only
Juki 1500 Coverstitch
The Juki 1500 Coverstitch is a high-speed, professional-grade machine that can easily handle different fabrics seamlessly. The machine allows for simple control of stitches using the adjustable stitch and a feed length option.
With this machine, the user can sew a cover stitch hem with four spools of thread. The wide setting allows up to 5mm, and this machine is also suitable for light fabrics. Coverstiches with this machine can be easily undone if sewn incorrectly by pulling the back loop to remove itself.
The machine has some amazing features that make it popular among many sewers. Some of these features include automatic roll hemming, super easy looper threading, presser foot lifter, extension plate with seam guides, presser foot pressure adjustments, and an exterior thread cutter.
These features make the JUKI MCS-1500 very user-friendly and smooth to operate.
- Ultra-fast speed of 1350 stitches per minute
- It contains a user guide with an instructional video to help users quickly understand the machine.
- It comes with multiple needles to help create multiple thread stitches.
- Designed to last longer
- The machines are heavy thus not portable
- Because of its superior features, the machine is relatively costly.
Janome CoverPro 900CPX
The Janome CoverPro 900CPX cover stitch machine has many features that make it perfect for home sewers. The machine comes with a free arm capability and a large flatbed to allow more space for sewing large pieces of fabric.
To make the threading process easy, the manufacturers offer a thread guide with thread patterns. This machine has a slider to adjust the tension, and the stitch length can be easily adjusted using the provided dials. The stitch width is limited to 5mm, while the length can be adjusted up to 4mm.
The Janome CoverPro 900CPX may be a perfect choice if you have a small business since it can handle huge workloads comfortably. With the long sewing arm and a fast speed, you can get straight, consistent and even stitches appealing to the customer and the tailor.
The features of this machine include an STS function, free arm, vertical drop needle, presser foot lifter, ample workspace, and differential feed.
- Ultra-fast speed
- Patented seam tightener
- Easy threading
- Quiet motor
- Impressive work is
- Produces professional sewn stitched with a sleek finish
- Easy to use and understand
- Performs perfectly for specialty stitches
- It offers only two types of stitches
- May skip stitches over thick fabrics
Many people ask this question “can you sew fur?” They are not aware that to sew fur, you need an excellent machine. Sewing fur can be fun and exciting, especially when you have the right tools and equipment.
To get your stitches well done and smooth, you need the correct type of sewing machine. Using primary machines that only have a basic needle may frustrate your fur sewing efforts, and you may end up damaging your material and the needle.
To get the job done effectively, choose one machine named above, and you will love the end product.