Wool fabrics vary in weights and weave and thus need special care when sewing. You don’t want to destroy your material; neither would you put your machine at risk of damage; hence the choice of a machine is essential depending on the fabric. Well, there are many machines out there that can handle heavy-duty materials as well as stretchy ones.
Well, stitching machines are very popular in households as many people understand the need for home sews. However, machines are not made for do-it-all work, and you must choose a specific one for different tasks.
This part is normally not an easy one, thanks to an overwhelming number in the market. Owning a heavy-duty machine is always a good option, especially for those who need to sew wool and other thick materials like leather and denim.
When working with wool, one of the most important considerations when buying a suitable machine is the features. Wool is both a stretchy and heavy-duty fabric; hence can be a little tricky to work with. Therefore, you need features that can help make the work of feeding the fabric into the machine easy.
One of those technological features to consider is the presser foot and box feed technology that allows fabric feeding without shifting or snagging. An extension table is also an important feature, especially when working with heavy projects.
Another plus feature that comes with heavy-duty machines is the computerized programs allowing you to work with unique touches in your projects. You should also consider convenience features like automatic needle threaders allowing for easier setup.
That being said, let’s see the reviews for the following machines to help you make an informed choice when you finally decide to make a purchase. And just so you know, all machines here are amazon products so you can view to see the prices.
Best Sewing Machine for Wool of 2020
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Machine
Singer is a brand name when it comes to fabric making machines, and it’s not a surprise that one of their own makes it in our list for one of the best machines for wool. Well, this is not just for wool, as the machine is customized to sew a wide range of fabrics.
The machine is programmed with up to 600 stitching patterns perfect for wool fabrics.
Other features include a presser feet range and an extension table. The machine can work with both lightweight fabrics such as silk and go all the way to heavy materials such as wool and denim.
If you need a perfect machine for commercial wool, then Singer quantum stylist 9960 computerized portable machine should be your best option. You can never go wrong with a speed of up to 850 stitched per minute.
• Features an extension table for easy working
• Automatic needle threader eliminates the frustrations of loading the needle
• Faster working with a speed of 850 stitches per minute
• Many stitches to choose from including home décor, fashion, crafting, etc.
• Comes with loads of accessories, including cording foot, overcasting foot, zipper foot, etc.
• Can become loud and creaky over time
• Some users find 850 stitches per minute still very slow
JUKI HZL-F300 Sewing and Quilting Machine
Are you looking for smooth sews, quality stitches, sturdy, and quiet machine? JUKI HZL-F300 Sewing and quilting machine are all that. This is also a perfect buy for sewers that need an all-round machine that can handle all types of fabrics from lightweight to heavy.
The computerized machine comes with a host of features including 16 high-quality buttonhole options, 105 built-in stitches, quilting, and 3 alphanumeric fonts.
This is one of the most user-friendly machines out there, and you won’t take too long to learn how to use it. The list of features is just too many that we can’t mention all, but just to give you a sneak pick, the machine comes with a built-in needle threader, adjustable cutting width, direct selection patterns, buttonhole facilities, tension controls, and thread trimmer among others.
If you want a perfect machine for wool and a transition from mechanical to computerized model, Juki HZL-F300 is the machine to go for.
• Several stitch options to choose from ensuring convenience
• Ultimate stitching control thanks to the wide number of presser feet
• A sturdy and well-built machine
• Easy to use
• Provides you with industrial style stitching
• Users experience stitch skipping and squeaky noises
• The speed is not up to the standard of other users
Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Machine
In the era when sew machines are highly computerized, Janome HD3000 is one of the mechanical ones that are still competing effectively. The machine is customized with fantastic features and a high performance perfect for heavy duty fabrics such as wool.
This is a veritable workhorse ideal for both home and industrial working needs.
You should not expect too many bells and whistles associated with modern-day machines, but Janome HD3000 still ensures consistency and reliability. You will never go wrong with fantastic features such as needle threader, solid metal frame, Snap-On presser feet, 1 step buttonholes, accessory compartment, and 18 built-in stitches, among others.
The machine is perfect for both advanced and beginner sewists thanks to its ease of use.
• Tough and stable machine
• Easy to use perfect for beginners
• Light and portable machine
• A strong motor capable of handling 860 stitches per minute
• Smooth sew and quiet operation
• Offers excellent stitch quality
• Can be a little loud when used to sew soft fabric
• The machine can get jammed
• Can result to thread wasting due to poorly placed thread cutters
SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Machine
Singer Heavy Duty 4452 is an ideal machine for beginners thanks to its ease of use and setup. The machine is capable of making thick fabric of all kinds, including wool, denim, leather, and canvas.
The machine is designed with heavy duty fabric in mind, but thanks to the adjustable presser foot, you don’t have to buy a different one for your light fabric as it can sew lightweight as well.
We won’t vouch for the machine as far as the aesthetic appeal is concerned, but if you’re looking for high performance and exceptional versatility, there is no need for you to look elsewhere.
This is one of the highest speed machines running at a maximum speed of 1,100 stitches per minute. It also comes with amazing bells and whistles and features an automatic needle threader, stainless steel bedplate, 32 built-in stitches, adjustable still length and width, adjustable presser foot, etc.
• Smooth running and not very noisy
• Comes with an automatic needle threader that works perfectly
• Suitable for both beginners and experienced sewists
• Very fast speed of up to 1,100 stitches per minute
• Versatile machine for both thick and lightweight fabric
• The machine construction consists of a lot of plastic
• Users complained of tension problems in their reviews
• Users can experience stitch skipping and jamming problems
Janome HD1000 Heavy-Duty Machine with 14 Built-In Stitches
Janome HD1000 is one of those machines that any professional and beginner sewist would love to use for any kind of fabric. The machine stands out for its versatility, sturdiness, and fast speed. The machine is tough enough to pierce through multiple layers of your fabric and all kinds of thick material with a lot of easy.
If you’re looking for a machine that you can transport from one point to another, then Janome HD1000 is still the one to go for. With only 17 pounds, it’s lightweight enough to be moved easily from one point to another. Another thing that makes this machine stand out is its ease of use with very few buttons to bring in any confusion.
Janome HD1000 features perfect metal construction, ensuring durability and sturdiness. The extra-high presser foot feature enables easier working on multi-layered fabrics and perfect for switching to lightweight materials. The machine has all the features any sewist will wish to find in perfect work equipment.
• Made with durable and lightweight aluminum material
• Perfect for use by both professional and beginner sewists
• Comes with an extra-high presser foot
• Features up to 14 built-in stitches
• Designed for heavy duty use
• Some customer reviews started that clutch can slip at times
• The custom bobbins can experience jamming from time to time
If you’re looking for a perfect machine to sew your wool and other kinds of fabrics, the five products we’ve mentioned should be your best options. All of them have their own pros and cons that you should consider before making a purchase.
Sometimes going through Amazon products review can help you choose the best. Also, consider your needs and budget when choosing one so that you can accomplish your tasks without any issues.
Well, the market is full of choices, and we’re not limiting you the five, but there are specific features you should never overlook when buying one. Some of those things to look for is the sturdy construction, user-friendliness, number of stitches, running speed plus extra bells and whistles.
Once you select the right machine, you will have industrial level work at the comfort of your home.