Quilting rulers are tools usually used alongside rotary cutters to ensure that material to be used in a quilting pattern is cut to the exact size required.
If the size of even one “block” of fabric is out, the entire pattern of a quilt can be ruined. For this reason, most quilters, especially professionals, prefer to use a rotary cutter and quilting ruler, rather than a regular ruler and scissors, as the former ensures greater accuracy.
As you can imagine, with this need for precision, buying the right quilting ruler is incredibly important. That’s where our handy reviews come in.
Top Five Best Quilting Rulers – Reviews
As individual quilting needs will vary, we have not included a “Value For Money” section with these reviews, as what we think to be the best value quilting ruler overall may not be suitable for you and your project.
#5: Olipfa 5”x24” Lip Edge Quilting Ruler
- Package Weight: 0.3 Pounds
- Features A Special Lip Edge That Works Like A T-Square Against The Edge Of A Cutting Mat
- Offers Perpendicular Lines And Angled Bias Lines
This is a versatile quilting ruler, which offers a range of ruler sizes to suit a variety of projects and needs.
Including perpendicular and angled bias lines, to help you create more elaborate patterns, this quilting ruler is let down by the fact that it doesn’t seem to sit square on fabric, and the ruler’s measurements don’t line up with the measurements guide on the same brand cutting mat, which can lead to confusion, frustration, and potential inaccuracy.
- Variety of sizes available
- Versatile quilting ruler
- Does not sit square
- Measurements do not line up with those on a cutting board
#4: Omnigrip 2.5” x18” Non Slip Quilting Ruler
- Omnigrip rectangle rulers are used for cutting strips and trimming fabric edges during quilt making or when executing a variety of sewing...
- Use with a rotary cutter or a straight-edge blade
- Patented non-slip backing to hold ruler in place during cutting
This non-slip quilting ruler stays in place on even very fine fabric, ensuring you get a precise, neat, and accurate cut.
This is an ideal ruler for triangle patterns, and is suitable for either right or left handed use.
It also has florescent number markings, which show up well against darker cutting mats and fabrics.
- Ambidextrous use
- Clearly visible florescent markings
- None that we could see
#3: Dritz R641 Omnigrid Ruler Set, Squares
- Edge Markings For Accurate Measuring
- Heavy-Duty Durable Acrylic Material And Laser Cut Edges For Smooth, Deep Cutting
- Patented Double-Sight Lines That Show Up On Light And Dark Fabrics
This set comprises three quilting rulers, all designed for square quilting patterns, and all of different sizes, to enable more elaborate square quilt projects to be undertaken.
The rulers are made from sturdy plastic, and are durable and functional.
A good, basic quilting ruler set from those working with simpler patterns.
- Sturdy and durable
- 3 different sizes included
- All the same shape, although this is fine for simple quilting patterns.
#2: Quilters’ Rule QRL1 6.5” x 24”
- Quilter's Rule Ruler Original 6.5"x 24" Black
- Quilter's Rule Rulers are designed to help make quilting and sewing projects easier and more efficient
- Creating fashions are quick, easy and lots of fun with each wonderful ruler
This quilting ruler works well with rotary cutters, and is easy to read, even for those whose eyesight isn’t what it once was. (Tip – try a lighted magnifying glass.)
The only drawback is that this ruler is not non-slip, which, given the price, is somewhat of a let down.
- Markings clearly visible – easy to read
- Works well with rotary cutters
- Not non-slip
#1: EZ Quilting 882700
- Easy Dresden Quilt Tool And Pattern Instructions
- Clear Ruler, Plus Bamboo Pointer And Creaser Tool
- Step-By-Step Quilt Instructions Included
This is an ideal quilting ruler for creating Dresden Plates, a particularly attractive, abstract quilting pattern that looks somewhat like flowers.
This is a clear, basic ruler that is easy to use. An experienced quilter would doubtless be able to use it for far more than just Dresden Plates, and it is an affordable craft item.
- Easy to use
- Ideal for creating Dresden Plates.
- None that we could see!