DIY dog collars are made from fabrics that are friendly to dogs. This can include nylon, polyester, thin leather, and other fabrics with a nylon webbing insert.
Dog owners can customize their collars with varying colors, lengths, widths, and patterns for personal use, charity events, or to provide an extra income.
The basic tools and materials used include:
- Sewing machine
- Grommet puncher
A quality sewing machine for collars includes a variety of features like threaders, bobbin, foot pedals, stitching patterns, needles, and ironically a part called a “feed dog.”
No, a feed dog has nothing to do with your favorite pet. It is part of the sewing machine featuring thin metal bars with crisscross teeth for keeping your fabric from moving.
Let’s look at five of the best sewing machine to sew dog collars. The following sewing machine for collars is top quality and are used by all level of seamstresses and hobbyists.
Best Sewing Machine To Sew Dog Collars
Singer – Confidence 7469Q Computerized & Quilting Sewing Machine
Singer is a brand that has stood for quality and durability since its beginnings in 1851. The Singer sewing machine is an electric phenomenon that was patented in 1910 at the World’s Fair in Paris.
Singer sewing machines continue to have a long friendship with consumers around the world.
The electric Confidence 7469Q Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine is an excellent example of a sewing machine that allows users to work with varied light-weight fabrics like cotton, wool, satin, polyester, rayon, and nylon webbing material.
When sewing your dog collar, you must fold the length of your fabric making it easy to use for sewing straight down folded seams. This includes the popular dog collar nylon webbing material. The Confidence can handle multiple layers of lightweight fabrics.
However, the Confidence is not designed to make dog collars from thicker fabrics like leather. As your single-serve sewing machine, the Confidence 7469Q features 98 built-in stitching levels as well as seven automated buttonhole options.
The Confidence works well for all level of sewers with a myriad of sewing options, as shown below:
- Automatic needle threader
- Drop and sew clear view bobbin system
- Open toe foot for better visibility
- Programmable needle with an up and down drop feed system
- An electronic twin needle control
- Adjustable length and width stitch control feature
- Extension arm table
- DVD, instruction manual, pull-out stitch reference guide and other features
The best feature of the Singer 7469Q Confidence sewing machine is that it is whisper quiet.
- Free moving attachments and accessories for sewing and quilting projects
- A great warranty
- As a computerized sewing system, the Confidence makes sewing so much fun
- Takes longer for purchasing added accessories because it comes from a different country
- Wish that its price would be lowered
Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
The Juki Company has been manufacturing premium quality sewing machines since 1945. Founded in Japan, the Juki brand was introduced into the U.S. in 1974.
Juki became a reliable and popular sewing machine for seamstresses and sewing crafters. Today they are a global brand with advanced technological features.
The Juki TL-2010Q machine is great for general and quilting sewing. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced sewing machine, it is a quality machine that thinks that it belongs in an industrial environment.
The Juki Tl-2010Q features speed where users can sew up to 1500 stitches per minute. Yes, the Juki can be programmed to a slower sewing pace of 200 stitches p/m.
The Juki TL-2010Q features a computerized straight stitch that slides down your folded material. You can very likely make several dog collars because of the Juki’s single needle component, lock stitching, and other high-performing features.
Additional TL-2010Q features include the following:
- An extension table
- Varied foot tools to accommodate your feed, quilting, walking, zipper, darning, blind hem, and piercing
- A large open throat for bulky projects
- Up and down needle operation
- Thread cutter located on the foot pedal
- Bobbin is located on the left side instead of directly in front of the needle
- Automatic foot pressure adjuster to fit fabrics being used
- Clearly delineated button diagrams for easier operating features
Modern-day sewing machines have been manufactured as a quiet operating tool. The Juki TL-2010Q is no exception. When making several dog collars, it is nice to work with a quality sewing machine that keeps your operating environment a peaceful experience.
Its accessories are varied and are complementary for quilters and sewers of dog collars. This includes multiple feet attachments, i.e., a zipper and presser foot tool, spool cord, and extra needles.
- Generous warranty coverage
- Computerized straight stitches
- Its LED light could be brighter
- Wish it were less expensive
Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The Japanese-inspired Brother brand has an over 100-year history. Brother continues to manufacture sewing tools, printing tools, and many other types of residential and commercial machine tools.
The company is a global, award-winning brand. As long as the Brother brand has been in existence, it is always awarded for its technologically advanced features and specifications.
Keeping up with its popular manufacturing brand is the Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Sewing Machine. This model allows neophyte sewers to embroider and to sew general tasks with a boatload of easy-to-use professional features.
Beginning sewers will enjoy its main feature which is its single needle threading operation. The Brother SE600 Sewing Machine is great for general sewing projects like your dog collars or simple embroidery projects.
What makes the SE600 Brother machine so much fun to use is that its key feature is a USB 2.0 port. Users can download or import from the internet a variety of designs for dual projects for embroidering and your dog collar projects.
Its key features are:
- Color-coded start and stop button without the need to pump a foot pedal
- Raising and lowering needle button so you can continue to stitch without stopping
- Reverse stitch button
- Coded button for the automatic use of cutting the upper and lower threads
- Large LCD touch display screen with instructional arrow buttons
- A question mark key that provides direction without needing a user manual
- 103 built-in stitches
- Lettering fonts
- Design keys that allow users to switch between general sewing and embroidering. Also denoting when you want to change settings for decorative features, and the length/width of your stitch
Creating your dog collar(s) is made easier and quicker with its sewing speed of 710 stitches per minute. You can stitch or embroider a dog collar on this sewing machine for collars on both lightweight fabrics, nylon webbing, and thin faux leather material.
Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or experienced embroiderer, you don’t need to worry about the SE600 computerized Brother machine skipping or jumping stitches.
Also, when you want to customize your dog collar pattern or design, your Brother USB port gives you access to features that fit your dog’s personality, coloring, and so much more!
- Easy portability
- Clear display screen
- Dual-purpose sewing machine
- Quality like this should be more affordable
Singer 1304 Sewing Machine for Beginners
The Singer brand represents dependability, durability, and excellence. The Singer 1304 sewing machine is easy to use for all level stitchers.
It is mobile at a weight of only 13 pounds with easy-to-follow instructions like its six built-in marked stitching symbols.
Beginners and leisurely advanced seamstresses will enjoy a sewing speed of 350-400 stitches per minute.
The Singer 1304 model comes equipped with a myriad of accessories that include the following:
- Dual spool pins that prevent the thread from inner entanglements
- 4-step buttonhole that operates automatically
- Predetermined length and width stitch feature
- LED sewing light
- A waist-high presser foot lifter
- Feed dog darning plate for freedom of movement sewing
- Extra pack of needles
- Seam ripper
- Snap-on presser feet for buttonholes, zipper, etc.
- Standard class 15 of A-style bobbins and other basic accessories that help beginners
The Singer 1304 model has easy-to-use clear exterior threading diagrams. Sewers of all levels will enjoy making dog collars of all sizes. The Singer 1304 will help you sew your collar in a tubal shape.
You can sew your look-inspired material inside out to hide the perfect stitching that this Singer model provides, especially if you are using a webbing base.
The Singer 1304 features spool pins that will give your dog collar the stitching or hemming that will give a decorative flair based on your imagination. Its removable free arm is perfect for creating various sized dog collars, cuffs, and more.
The Singer 1304 sewing machine provides exterior instructions. The automatic bobbin winding system is on the outside of the machine, threading and stitch changes are also on its exterior directional makeup.
Like advanced sewing machine equipment, your Singer 1304 Sewing Machine is a quiet operating tool.
The 1304 model by Singer is very mobile allowing you to take it to your dog collar sewing circles. The Singer 1304 may look cute but it can handle all types of fabrics for your pet collar including thin leather, upholstery material, and thicker fabrics.
For example, one DIY dog collar step is to take your fabric and fold it. You can place your nylon webbing inside and sew each side. You then create a loop for the insertion of the buckle followed by folding the material and adding the D-ring.
The Singer 1304 comes equipped with a generous warranty even though the 1304 model is built purposedly for years of wear and tear.
- Bright LED lighting
- Lightweight, portable, built-in handle
- The upper thread must be measured exactly, or you can run out of thread
- Far-right reverse lever can feel inconvenient
Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine
The professional appearance of the Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine exemplifies how well it operates.
This amazing, computerized sewing machine is great for sewing hobbyists and crafters of all levels of experience. The mobility of the Brother CS5055PRW is enhanced by its lightweight and comfortable handle.
The CS5055PRW Sewing Machine by Brother is the best sewing machine to sew dog collars. It features many great features and accessories that aid in making all types of sewing projects:
• Stitches: there are 87 different types of adjustable stitches that make your dog collar and any other sewing project a decorative and innovative touch.
The stitch selector is located on the side of the CS5055PRW so that you can easily choose the type of stitch you need.
There is a stretch stitch feature that will give your dog collar the right type of neck fit needed. There is a monogrammed stitch feature to place a personal feature on your dog collar.
- Needle Threader: the automatic threader lessens eye strain that is affiliated with standard sewing machines.
- LCD Screen: The clear LCD screen displays all the functions you may need for any sewing project.
- Feed dogs: 7-point feed dogs that include feed teeth that work at the same time and helps to grip the fabric as you stitch.
- Bobbin: manual drop-in threading option with a fast-winding system.
- Spool caps: small, medium, and large
- Sewing feet options: zipper foot, overcasting foot, buttonhole, blind stitch foot, and a monogramming foot.
- Needles: twin and ballpoint needles
This Brother model is notable for its use on the TV show Project Runway. This means that it must be used by experienced sewists and quilters.
No matter what fabric you choose to make your dog collar, the Brother CS5055PRW can meet the challenge. To make your collar project go faster, this model gives sewers the maximum speed of 850 stitches per minute.
- Quiet motor
- Can sew onto light and thick fabrics
- Sewing instructions are visible
- LED light may be too dim
- Manual needle threading is required